We’ve heard of the difficulty which comes with wearing a pair of glasses while riding a motorcycle. Helmets have to be snug and this can make finding the right frames difficult. Although looking cool is important, having safe, practical glasses that are comfortable under your helmet is essential. This blog can help you make a decision on which styles, shapes and lenses you need for your glasses to make sure they don’t annoy you while riding, whether they are sunglasses or optical.
Which style of glasses are best suited?
As well as finding a pair of glasses that match your personal style, these are the types of glasses and shapes we recommend you to buy:
- Foam cups seal the wind out while riding.
- Foam padding adds comfort and protection from wind.
- Go for a wraparound style to make sure your glasses are a tight fit and won’t fly off while riding.
- Vents to allow circulation that helps prevent fogging.
- Thin and metal frames are comfortable to wear with a helmet.
Which features are necessary?
You can add a variety of features to your glasses and lenses which make riding in all weathers so much easier.
- Polarised sunglasses help reduce glare while driving in direct sunlight and on wet roads
- If you need glasses for distance, add your prescription to your sunglasses for visual clarity.
- Transition lenses are a great solution while riding your motorbike on bright days because they contain photochromic dye that darkens when exposed to UV light.
- You can add your Varifocal lenses to your sunglasses if you are both long and short-sighted.
- We have a large range of lens tints you can add to your lenses, interchangeable tints are perfect to adapt to different weather conditions.
What brands should I look into?
Our top brands for motorcyclists are:
Here are some of the frames we recommend:
Established in 1975 and acquired in 2007, Oakley is one of the leading product and sports-performance brands, chosen by world-class athletes to compete at the highest level.
OAKLEY HOLBROOK 009102
One of our bestselling Oakley frames which can be versatile for a mixture of sports performances.
OAKLEY HOLBROOK METAL 004123
Metal frames are comfortable when wearings helmet - try our best-seller in metal.
OAKLEY FUEL CELL 009096
This is a useful frame when riding a bike as it will protect your eyes from muck and dust.
MAUI JIM SHOAL
This thin frame is perfect for wearing while with a helmet as the thin frame won't be irritated.
MAUI JIM FRIGATE
The ultimate thin metal arms perfect for riding comfort with the Maui Jim Frigate.
MAUI JIM CASTLES
The Aviator style with polarised lenses - perfect for all-weather riding.
REVO TRAVERSE RE1036
Do you ride on many dirt tracks? The Revo Traverse gives you the most eye protection.
Stylish and practical - the Revo Aston.
The Revo Outlander is sleek, stylish with a large lens to protect eyes.
Can I add my prescription?
Fashion Eyewear is an online optician, therefore you can add your prescription to any of our eyewear whether they are a pair of sunglasses or optical. Simply shop our prescription sunglasses selection or glasses on our website. Choose your favourite frames and click ‘add prescription’. Our simple step by step check out will help guide you through our lens packages, brands and choices. We have every lens type available to fit your needs, whether you need single vision, varifocal, distance or for driving. We also have the best lens brands for you to choose from Essilor, Nikon, Maui Jim, Ray-Ban, Oakley and our own Fashion Eyewear standard packages. After choosing your coatings, add your prescription and use our Fashion Eyewear Pupillary Distance Metre to measure your PD.